With the dark nights and cold weather setting in, disabled motorists can access the best advice on how to drive safely during the winter months by visiting motability.co.uk. The website features a useful ‘winter driving’ checklist, tips for scooters and powered wheelchair users, as well as answers to frequently asked questions on topics such as winter tyres.
The ‘winter driving’ information has been created to ensure customers can access helpful advice and information on how to prepare for driving this winter. The Motability Scheme provides customers with a worry-free package that includes vehicle servicing and maintenance, full RAC breakdown assistance and tyre and windscreen replacement.
- The ‘winter driving tips’ section features the following advice:
- Make sure your anti-freeze and screen wash is topped up and you have an ice-scraper tool to hand
- Ensure your mobile phone battery is fully charged before setting off
- Before setting off on long journeys check your bulbs and wipe your lights to ensure they are clearly visible to other road users
- Pack warm clothes, food, drink and a blanket in the car
- Plan your route and try to stick to main roads in icy conditions
- Consider if the journey is essential, and whether it can be delayed until road conditions improve
- Use gentle manoeuvers, slower speeds and allow more time for accelerating and braking
- Scooter and powered wheelchair users should check their battery range as it runs for a shorter distance in the cold, and importantly wear something reflective to increase visibility to other drivers and pedestrians
Local dealerships are also available to help customers if they require any assistance with winter driving. Safety checks for batteries and lights, and anti-freeze and screen wash checks are included in the Motability annual service.
Anyone who receives the Higher Rate Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance, Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment, War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement or Armed Forces Independence Payment can exchange the weekly payment to lease a new car through Motability. Insurance, servicing, RAC breakdown assistance and replacement tyres are included in the cost of the lease.
For more information on leasing a car through the Motability Scheme, visit motability.co.uk or call 0800 953 7000.