Minister for Disabled People, Penny Mordaunt joined families with disabled children at Contact a Family’s inaugural award ceremony to celebrate the amazing things families do when caring for a disabled child.
The awards organised by Contact a Family – the national charity that supports families with disabled children whatever their disability or medical condition – was held at Speakers House at the Palace of Westminster on Tuesday 24th January and was attended by over 100 MPs and families and was hosted by BBC Radio 4s Jane Garvey.
At the event the Minister and MPs met the winners and runners up of the charity’s six award categories:
- Parent Carer Awardto recognise the amazing things parent carers do to ensure their disabled children can take part in everyday life.
- Proudest Moment Awardrecognising the challenges disabled children have overcome that fill their parent carers with pride and make them smile.
- Sibling Awardcelebrating the often unseen but great things siblings do for their disabled brothers and sisters.
- Grandparent Awardfocusing on all the wonderful, everyday things grandparents do.
- Parent Power Awardfor individual parents or local parent groups who have campaigned to make life better for families with disabled children.
- Family Champion Awardfor professionals, politicians or government officials who have gone the extra mile to champion the causes of families with disabled children.
Amanda Batten, CEO at Contact a Family said on the night: “It’s wonderful to be able to celebrate all the positives that come along with being a family with a disabled child tonight.
“At Contact a Family we are all about families and, because of the nature of the services we offer, we naturally hear a lot about when things go wrong for families – struggling to get the right services and support for their child, public attitudes to disability or pressure on relationships for instance. We established our unique awards to recognise when things go right too. We were overwhelmed by the number of nominations we received and the inspiring stories families told us. Well done to all our finalists – they are all champions in our eyes!”
Contact a Family is a national charity that supports families with disabled children regardless of their disability or medical condition through a range of services including a free helpline: 0808 808 3555. For more information about Contact a Family visit www.cafamily.org.uk